· Did you know that 97% of teenage boys and 83% of girls have seen online porn?
- Did you know that searches for pornography increase 4,700% in the hours after school ends?
- Are you aware that the average child is viewing porn by age 11?
No parental controls are foolproof. Many kids know how to bypass, delete, or disable parental controls, and they pass that knowledge around. For instance, kids often add a separate browser and hide it in a folder, totally unknown to their parents. Then when parents look at the known browser, their child’s searches look quite innocent.
So do your research and get the absolute best parental controls on each of your children’s devices. Check them often to make sure the controls are working correctly. And to add another layer of protection, use a router with a timer that denies access to the internet during certain periods of the day and night.
Finally, here’s a revolutionary idea that could prevent a host of problems. Consider getting your child a basic phone that doesn’t text or have a data plan. You’ll be able to get in touch with your child, but you’ll prevent the problems of:
- Porn addiction
- Screen addiction
- Loss of time for school work
- Sleep deprivation
- Chronic distraction
- Interference with family time, which is the time you pass on your morals and values
- Weakened social skills
- Lack of exercise
Is a smartphone worth it?